Monday, April 9, 2012

Splish Splash

We drink it, wash with it, swim in it, mix it, dye it, play in it, dive into it, splash in it, and survive on it. There is no avoiding it. Water is a daily necessity that can bring both joy and sadness, pleasure and discomfort. It has so many uses: too many uses. It seems as if we will never run out with water covering more than seventy percent of the earth, however, what we don't realize is that most of that water cannot be consumed by humans. It is almost a tease. Looking at the earth from above, you see almost all blue.

It would be a dream come true to turn the abundance of ocean water into drinkable water. But that doesn't necessarily solve the problem. What happens when we use up all the oceanic water? Better yet, what happens to the creatures who call the oceans their home? What happens to the beaches people spend their lives on?

So water is depleting, and there isn't much of a way to renew it: a survival necessity is becoming less available. It doesn't seem like it, with America being so blessed, but most countries are experiencing the loss. This cant go on forever.

How we use our water now is crucial to the survival of the people that come after us. In the last eight months, I have learned the little ways I can reduce my use of water. I am able to reduce the use of water while going to the bathroom (again, toilet with flushing directions), I no longer take more than a ten minute shower (not necessarily by choice when you are living with seven other girls, but the same nevertheless), and I barely use any water while doing dishes because I am too lazy to wash them (ok, I am joking, this is something you can't ignore, but I am saving water in the end!) Although these are simple, there are many other ways I am going to try to save water. I have started thinking to myself, "if there is another use for this water than putting it down the drain, then save it" and believe me, there is always another use for the water. Another way of conserving water that I have been trying is storing drinking water in the refrigerator instead of letting the tap run every time I want a glass. I also don't let the water run while I am brushing my teeth or washing my face.

There are many ways to save water that have to do with how our houses (or, in this case, dorms) are built. Insulation of water pipes, water softening systems, how the pumps work, and more. But as long as we do what we can to help save our water supply, we are making a difference.



1 comment:

  1. It would be really interesting for you to keep digging around the water saving issues. How much clean water is there on the planet? Is water the next oil???? so interesting.

    ReplyDelete