Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Change in Recycling Techniques, or Actually a Change of Heart

If you told my family a few weeks ago that I was embarking on a journey to "go green" or to live more sustainably, they probably would have laughed. It's not that I don't complete tasks such like recycling or turning the water off when I brush my teeth, it's just that I tended to ignore the bigger picture and results from my actions when it came to saving the environment.

However, I think that's why global warming became such a big issue and why there are food shortages across the globe. People just don't think. We are careless and put off sustainability until tomorrow, which then turns into the day after that, and keeps going forward. We say that we don't have time to save the earth and instead leave it to the next generation who isn't even born yet to clean up our mess. That's our problem.

Today in Global class we watched a video in which Dr. Jason Clay of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) talked about how our issue of consumption in relation to our lifestyles is killing our planet. He said that one of the keys to solving these crises is to "use less to produce more." To take action we need to think strategically. Dr. Clay went on to mention how some of the top companies in the world, such as Coca Cola, are getting together to strategize how to make their businesses more sustainable. All in all, Dr. Clay reiterated the point that at the end of the day, we have to "change the way we think about everything" to be successful.

As I'm sitting here writing this blog post, I'm sitting in my room with the lights turned off. Instead, my blinds are open and beautiful vast rays of sunshine are lighting my room. My trash can is divided into recyclable material and waste. My laundry basket is brimming with clothing. Instead, I'm waiting until I have a full load of laundry to conserve water, detergent, and energy.

Yesterday, I was on the phone with my mom, who suggested that I cut back on personal expenses. That was a wake up call. Looking into my wardrobe stuffed with mountains of clothing, I felt ashamed. I was contributing to this consumerism epidemic. All the time I was shopping, the environment was the least of my worries. Now, I am more wary about what I buy and consume, especially what I consume to just buy something else. It's a vicious cycle.

But now, I am conscious of my actions. I'm paying attention to the problem. I am thinking. I am changing.

S.P.

To learn more about Dr. Jason Clay and the World Wildlife Fund visit http://www.worldwildlife.org/home-full.html

1 comment:

  1. This is so spot on. I am glad that you are starting to think about this stuff. It is so easy to make small changes and they DO MATTER . Keep blogging, keep thinking .. this is GREAT

    ReplyDelete