Sunday, April 29, 2012

The 'Ole Bike

The summer breeze is blowing through my hair while the early birds sing their own tune. The streets are vacant at this hour of the day, so I decide it isn't too risky to ride in the street. Although I wasn't too happy to be riding my bike to morning practice, work right after, and to afternoon practice each day, I made a promise to myself that I would go a whole summer without driving my car anywhere within riding distance. 

I have to admit, the more I rode my bike throughout the summer, the more I looked forward to it. It became my time to reflect, think, relax, and enjoy the world around me in a light I have never seen before. Plus, I became in unusually good shape after three months of riding approximately 8 miles a day, as opposed to the zero I used to ride. 

You see, it all started with the gas prices three summers ago. Their prices just kept on rising! I was lucky that my parents let me have my own car. Sure it was my dad's old one with the outside was rusting, the air conditioning not working (which is another reason I took my bike), and the radio broken, but it got me from point A to B and that is all that mattered. However, I felt guilty that I was driving to everyday places that I could easily ride my bike to. So I made that promise to myself, and each year I try to go another summer without taking my car, but I can never hold myself to it. 

Resource depletion is a huge concern in our crumbling world. Maybe not so much for our country as to others, but we have seen many prices rise due to the product's recent scarcity; and it is scary. 

Even though we got rid of the old third-family car and got a new eco-hybrid vehicle with a working air condition system, radio, and with no rust, I have decided that I am going to try, yet again, to go another summer without taking the car. And I mean REALLY try. There are some places that are too far to ride a bike to, but those places in riding distance, I am going to make sure I take the 'ole bike. 

Besides, it is about time I reflect on what I am doing with my life. What is my major again? 

M.T.C.


1 comment:

  1. Oh I hope you do ride your bike .. It is so good for your health and it is way better for the environment .

    ReplyDelete