Sunday, April 22, 2012

Simply Electric

While walking from Danieley to Colonnades cafeteria for dinner, I was greatly anticipating my daily wheat turkey wrap with lettuce, tomato, and mustard. Of course, I also had to get my baked barbecue chips and piece of chocolate (I don't know how a girl goes a day without her chocolate). I had barely eaten all day and was trying to beat the dark, hovering clouds above with my hair blowing in the stormy wind when all of a sudden, the lights illuminating the brick walkway shut off. In fact, the lights in all the buildings surrounding completely shut off as well. It went pitch black, and you can imagine I screamed as loud as I possibly could in fright (I was extremely embarrassed, but come on, I am a little girl when it comes to the dark). Although they came right back on, it happened multiple times (and I continued to scream each time) and it made me realize how much we truly rely on electricity (especially light) in our every day lives.

Electricity is a miraculous invention that today's society takes complete advantage of. Electricity is expensive and we waste it in our daily lives; leaving plugs in when we are not using the object (such as hairdryers, video games, chargers for phones, etc), leaving the lights on when we are not in the room, leaving the television on while we sleep, and much more. Also, lights use more than five times as much energy to run daily than any other electric component.

So, in order to cut down on my use of electricity, and to help Elon out with their electricity bill, I am going to be more conscious of my every day actions: turning off the lights when I leave my dorm room or bathroom, unplugging chargers/anything with a plug when I leave the room, not leaving the television on when I am out or asleep (or just cutting down television time in general), and open the blinds during the daytime instead of turning on the lights to allow natural light to enter.

The truth is, saving electricity not only saves money, but it also saves the environment. Sure, you don't see pollution when you plug something into the wall, but the pollution is there-it just is at the power plant. Almost all electricity is made by burning coal and other fossil fuels and every time you turn the lights on, you create a little pollution. Therefore, saving electricity doesn't just help you out financially, it helps keep the water and air clean too.

M.T.C

1 comment:

  1. it is pretty amazing when all the lights go out and actually it is a good thing. Like all the other handy gadgets we have in the world we don't really appreciate them until they quit. try a day with no electricity .. it is kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete