Thursday, May 3, 2012

Taking Root: Stopping Resource Depletion and Moving Forward towards Living a Greener Lifestyle

"Taking Root." What do you think of when you hear that phrase? To me I immediately picture taking something by force and acting upon it. It's a very aggressive phrase if you stop and think about it. "Taking Root" is not for the faint of heart. It's for those who have the courage to seize it. The past few weeks, I've been challenging myself to "take root" and change my lifestyle by going green. As of today, May 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM, I am proud to say that I've been "Taking Root" in my daily life. It is far from easy, so I think that it's okay to share it with the world.

Thinking about the phrase "Taking Root" from a different perspective, it is also a mental challenge and not just physical. I've been battling my inner demons over going with the flow with the social norm and taking the easy path versus stepping out of my comfort zone and not giving a crap over what anyone thinks. I am also proud to say that I took the tough path. Know when I think of "going green," I don't just shrug it off and put it off for tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. I've been slowly and surely adopting greener habits, which are now ingrained into my conscious. There's no way I'm going back to the way I was before.

Throwing the "status quo" out of the window and taking the rocky road were some of the themes we explored in Global class today. We watched part of a documentary called, wait for it.... Taking Root. It followed the journey of the Nobel Peace Prize winning Kenyan named Wangari Maathai. She founded the the Green Belt Movement, a grassroots non-governmental organization based in Nairobi, Kenya that focuses on how environmental conservation can help develop communities and create peace. And you want to know how the women involved in the movement did that? By planting trees. Yes, I kid you not. By helping to empower Kenyan women, the Green Belt Movement fights deforestation and helps build economic development that can help these women. Since the movement started in 1977, over 40 million trees have been planted. 


However, Wangari and the Kenyan women could not simply just plant a tree. They had to fight against Colonialism and the power struggle that was going on in Kenya in the time, along with the crucial fact that women were supposed to be submissive in society. But Wangari did not take no for an answer. She defied the status quo that had ruled the country for hundreds of years while not taking an easy path to get solutions.

Wangari Maathai "took root." Wangari Maathai took action. Wangari Maathai did not ignore the problem. Wangari Maathai fought to find a solution.


For this last week of blogging, my group wanted to focus on resource depletion. Well the way to stop resource  depletion is for YOU, YES YOU READING THIS, to "take root." I'm far from being perfect at it, but after 5 weeks, I can say that I am taking root. The tides are changing.

So my message for you is to go forth and take root in your community. It is time for you to join me in conserving what we take for granted, natural resources. Times are changing for the better, so stand up and go forth and implement that change! Don't worry, you won't be alone. I'll be taking the journey with you.

Until the next time we meet.
S.P. 


1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome awesome post!!! Nicely done and I will make every effort to take root.

    ReplyDelete